The first day of class

Yesterday was the first day of classes. Peter and I stayed up pretty late to ensure the first project was together and that other odds and ends were in order. I woke up at 8am for no reason at all. I decided to get some errands done in town. That was a big mistake. I trekked up and down the town hill too many times yesterday.

On my first trip, only one of the four places I planned to visit was open. I figured I would make a trip later. When later arrived, I found only one more of the stores I needed was open. Another trip up the hill and down the hill that was partially wasted. The next trip allowed me to visit all of the places I needed, but the cellular store asked that I return. During class, I had to make an unexpected trip back to the hardware store to get some supplies. Then, when I returned to the cellular store, the guy said I should come back in the morning. That sux.

After dinner, Vanessa (the main RC) gave a concert in the courtyard. The atmosphere was perfect and everyone was so relaxed. My camera is dying on me, so I don't have my own pictures. The images you see soon will be a collection I was able to acquire from the students.

I have lost count of how many trips I actually made, but the final trip up the hill was the best. Kevin and I went up the hill to meet a group and the Garden Underground to wind down from the first day of classes.

This morning, I woke up to go to the cell store. When I arrived, the nice man kindly told me that he could not fix my phone. I so wanted to ask for my money back because he did nothing for me, but I let it go. It was only 20 Euro. As long as I don't think about it, I am fine. I met with some students for breakfast at Hermes. It was a nice breakfast. On top of that, we got the opportunity to talk with Mauro. He is a older local that just felt like talking. He told us about some experiences from his childhood and invited us to stop by his home anytime to see some of the architecture. He was a very nice man.

I thought I was going to be indoors the rest of the day... wrong! Paolo, did not finish his initial tour and decided to take us back to the museum (yes up the hill). It wasn't bad though. The lecture he gave brought back memories and reinforced information that I already knew. I just wish that I could get my students to speak up more! As a side note, my TA responsibilities have been growing day by day... haha!

After dinner we played soccer. It was a lot of fun. Of course I sucked at first, then I got the hang of it, again. By that time, however, I was pretty worn out and decided to just sit on the side. Later we left and went to Roggi's for some food. We had pretty good conversation and I think I found the group of students that I want to hang with (within A&M). They seem pretty easy going and funny as hell.

When we got back to the center, I did the stupidest thing. I look at the phone issued to me by the center and saw that all of my personal numbers were in there. I figure, "I need to delete these while it is on my mind and I have time." So I did. When I got back to my room for a shower, I found that my original phone did not have my personal numbers in it. That really sucks. So basically, if you ever want to hear from me a gain, you need to send me your contact info. Also please don't be surprised if I don't know who you are when you call. Basically, I am flying blind right now.

I gotta get up early to go to Firenze (Florence) tomorrow. Sogni d'oro!

No comments: