2.9.06

The secular meets the divine...


Yesterday, was an interesting day. Finally, our group was introduced to the Great Paolo Barucchieri. I think it is funny how he is slowly brought into the lives of the students. Throughout orientations his name is constantly dropped in various situations. "Paolo will take here." or "Paolo was responsible for setting this up." Then one day, he just shows up and takes you on an amazing tour of the city while explaining all kinds of historic facts about the area. He is still a great man with infinite wisdom.

Later, we took a trip to Arezzo where Monica (my past Italian teacher) gave us a tour of the town. I was impressed by her knowledge regarding the architeture. I always thought she was hired to teach Italian and never considered her as a historian of any sort. I also hung out with a pretty good group of students. Things are starting to shape up with them. I think a nice (but edgy) rapport is shaping with them. (Mark, if you are reading this: White pants are still great, I have seen one pair, and they were not the greatest. But... Keep hope alive.)

Last night, I hung out with my friends from UT. I think this group may appear numerous times in my various blogs. They were meeting their studio prof. at the local public park and allowed me to tag along. In addition, the students from Calpoly finally began to arrive and this was their wind down time. We ended up having a rather nice (and late) night in the park (did I mention they erected a bar there? It is called the Garden Underground- same owners as the Velvet Underground).

Today was a whole lotta nothing. I ended up not going back to Arezzo for the anitique fair. I slept in (thought not easily) until 11am. I don't think my bed could be more comfortable, but those bells are not going to cut it. After awaking I went to the "student discounted lunch" at some local pizzeria that sucked. They claimed to make italian pizza, but it seemed like they dumbed it down for Americans. It had thick edges and was tougher than the typical Italian pizza. I give them a C minus for their bad pizza and even crappier service. The waitresses did good (considering the crowd), but the owner sucked.

Later today, I constantly ran into students with billions of questions. Things are coming back to me, so that is always good. Specifically, the language is slowly creeping into the active part of my brain. I watched La Vitta Bella (Life is Beautiful) with Kara and Haley. I have seen it over twelve times and it still brings tears to my eyes. After dinner, I was torn. I wanted to go out, but the group that was going out, decided against it. So I settled back with my friends from UT. I was getting in such a relaxed mode, then all of a sudden the first group decided they really wanted to go out. So I hung out with them. It was ok, but I realized that I really need someone here that is my age.

I am in now, and none of my classmates (back in CS) are online. I know it is because they are all together... having a great time together. Oh, I miss them so.

No comments: