30.8.06

Arrive: The "Katrina" Experience

I am here everyone! Am I the only one that finds irony in the fact that I was traveling during the one year anniversary of Hurrican Katrina? Let me paint a picture for you. Upon my arrival in Philadelphia, a storm decided to settle the region. They boarded the plane, and then let us sit for 3 hours because the airport was shutdown due to the weather. The flight attendants became our very own personal FEMA. They refused to tell us the truth about what was going on. They did not provide us with any resources (food, water or entertainment). When ever we needed them, they tended to look over us. It got so bad that one man had some sort of medical emergency while we were in the air (which in itself took forever). They called for a doctor who literally performed a bit of surgery while we were in flight.

Once I got to Italia, things began to smooth out. I was worried about meeting my group, but all turned out well. Right now, I feel a bit awkward. I suppose I am afraid that I won't fit in, or they will see me as "the guy that knows it all." Things here have changed, though not too much, I want to experience things as if it were the first time.

I have been here for a few hours and already stood up a group of potential friends. At dinner, I sat with students from UT to mix things up. They invited me to hang out tonight after dinner. I wanted to go, but sleep got the best of me. When I awoke, they had already been gone for an hour. Wait... What am I thinking? This is Italia. Its not like they are going to be in anytime soon. Well, then again... There is always tomorrow night. I better not risk seeming irresponsible. I think I will call it a night, unpack and plan on hanging tomorrow night.

No comments: