16.9.11

I'm Tired of the Rules

On the twelfth title, I have to know. "Aibileen, how long have you been wanting to ask me for this? If I'd check these books our for you"
"A while." She shrugs. "I guess I's afraid to mention it."
"Did you... think I'd say no?"
"These is white rules. I don't know which ones you following and which ones you ain't"
We look at each other for a second. "I'm tired of the rules," I say.
-The Help , Kathryn Stockett (Chapter 11)

I have been reading The Help since Monday. I got to this line and tears welled up in my eyes. Simple words that mean so much. I am tired of the rules too. I am not just talking about the race rules. (Those still exist as well.)

On the uncrowded train the other night, a man refused to take a seat. He was visibly tired of standing, but scowled at the numerous vacant seats. It was obvious that his reasoning was the company he would have had. It wasn't until a number of stops later that he found someone he was 'comfortable' to sit with. Did I feel hurt because it wasn't me?

Last night, a lady whom one would think was 'down on her luck' sat next to another gentleman. I have seen the lady numerous times on the train, so I know that she is not 'down on her luck.' Her appearance, might say otherwise. She made a semi-audible comment to the teenager she sat next to. Why did the young man looked annoyed that this homeless woman had the audacity to speak to him?

Last weekend, my nephew had a baseball game. I left my neighborhood of kept tree lines, even lanes and bakery smell to make it across town. As I approached 'historic' neighborhood, I notice the streets need care, the vegetation is overgrown or dying and I would rather roll my windows up to keep the smells out. Yet, I know there are places out there worse off than these. But, I don't have to worry about it right?

I am tired of stereotypes.
I am tired of people judging because of appearance.
I am tired of one part of my city being so disparagingly different from another.

Dr. King dreamed of a day that his kids would be judged not by the color of their skin but the content of their character.
I have a Dream Part II
Monk & Neagle sing of looking for Jesus in everyone.
21st Time
Qunicy Jones and Micheal Jackson sang of heeding the call of the world.
We are the World

God wants us to love all. God wants us to minister to all. God wants us to care for all. As his children, we have been given a great mandate. "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations..."- Matthew 26:19. Not just those we feel comfortable sitting next to, or smell nice, or live in the good part of town. All nations aren't always comfortable, intelligible and cushy.

Why do we pretend as though the daily games that we play do not play a part of the separatism that is rooted in our hearts? Have we become so blind that we can no longer see we are still living by rules? I am so tired of the rules.

"...that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time."- 1 Timothy 2:2-6

No comments: