5.5.12

Regalos de Dios

“While wandering a deserted beach at dawn, stagnant in my work, I saw a man in the distance bending and throwing as he walked the endless stretch toward me. As he came near, I could see that he was throwing starfish, abandoned on the sand by the tide, back into the sea. When he was close enough I asked him why he was working so hard at this strange task. He said that the sun would dry the starfish and they would die. I said to him that I thought he was foolish. there were thousands of starfish on miles and miles of beach. One man alone could never make a difference. He smiled as he picked up the next starfish. Hurling it far into the sea he said, "It makes a difference for this one." I abandoned my writing and spent the morning throwing starfish.” ― Loren Eiseley

I read this story for the first time while buying souvenirs in Honduras last year.  It summed up the trip so well for me.  In the scheme of things, I can only effect so much change.  However, if I sit... unmoving... apathetic- my effect is far less.  So, I choose to act.  I choose to walk in Christ's footsteps.  I choose to open my eyes to the world.  I choose to have a heart that hurts, feet that move and hands that work.

You may not choose the same means as I, but don't stand idle.  Don't let God's purpose for you pass you by.  Look within yourself and find what you can do.  When I was in middle school, we used to say, "Get in where you fit in."  Find you niche because that is where you will shine.  God is calling you to something...  will you respond?

"As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God."- 1 Peter 4:10

No comments: