9.11.13

Special Olympics: Over The Edge

"If you don't go over, you'll never get to see the view."
This is what I told myself as I stood on the edge of the Oak Cliff Bank tower this morning.  I also needed to remind myself why I was doing this in the first place.

It started with a simple decree by my firm (Corgan Associates, Inc.) in January.  This being our 75th Anniversary, we would complete 75 community service projects before our 76th year.  This idea seemed heaven sent.  One of the projects was a team that would raise money for the Special Olympics of Texas.  Each team member that raised $1000 was afforded the opportunity to rappel down the side of the Oak Cliff Bank Tower (formerly Bank of America).

The concept was already in line with my love for community service, but that wasn't really my motivation.  In college, I got to meet the amazing Trojcak family.  I'll share more about them in another post.  For this story, the focus is on Tony Trojcak.  His is a golfer that competes with the Special Olympics.  He and his family travel all over the state for various tournaments.  Each time I get to hang out with Tony I learn of many gifts with which God has blessed him.  Loving family, athletic skill, musical genius, personal determination, a sense of humor with impeccable timing.  He is also someone with a very demeanor.

When I told Jimmie, Tony's father, of my plans he was the first to make a donation.  He also forwarded the event to some friends.  As time drew closer, Jimmie sent the following message via email:
"...[the website] said you only need $210 to be eligible.  Tony wanted you to be able to GO OVER the EDGE.  So, we hopefully got you closer to the EDGE.  Let us know if you get to your pledge and if you are going over as Tony said he wanted to come and watch."  Tony personally donated $111.11 on behalf of his family!

So here I am on the roof with Danielle L., Donna C., James C. and Chuck B.  I don't know who is down below because we had to arrive WAY early for training.  I hope Tony is there because I plan to put on a show.  After a brief prayer to myself (broken and rushed), I stepped onto the platform, turned around grasping a support in each hand.  As the Dallas Police Department & SWAT strapped me in I was told, "Its okay to release your right hand now."

At this point, I had seen the view and it brought a sense of calm to my mind.  "Okay, now release your left hand."  I don't think anyone told my body that I was ready for this.  The voice said release.  My brain said release.  But, my body did not budge.  It was eerie and all of us looked at each other and laughed.  I literally had to pry my own hand loose.  After I dropped about 6', I realized just how awesome this experience could be and I made the most of it.  I am told the decent took about 5min, but I was having so much fun that I lost track of time.  I tried to see who was in the crowd, but had no luck due to height and lack of glasses.  I'll let the photos and video tell that part of the story.








Donna, Danielle, Mike, Me, Chuck & Jim
When I reached the bottom, the events happened VERY quickly.  First I say Chuck and Jim.
Chuck & Jim- "What did you think?"
Brandon- "I want to do it again!"



The absolute best part happened next...  As I looked beyond my team, I saw Tony and Jimmie grinning from ear to ear and cheering me on.  I gave Tony a big hug and he was thanking me!  I was the one that had to do all the thanking.  Had it not been for him, I probably would have never considered such an experience in my life.

Tony & Me

I was able to raise $1236.11.  Our team raised over $5,800.  Below is a list angels that contributed to a wonderful cause.  Thank you for supporting me, The Corgan 75/75 and giving to the Special Olympics of Texas:

Tony Trojcak
Jimmie Trojcak
Jeremy & Jennifer Pitts
RWB Consulting Engineers
Ted & Erin Reinker
Dawn Chisholm
Stephanie Garci
Mike Vargas
Josue & Debbie Villareal
David & Debbie Williams
Stephen & Rachael Milan
Mark & Tara Dannehl
Dan Velte
Luis & Carmen Rivera
Michael & Marti Steiner
Thom & Leslie Campbell
And some that wished to remain anonymous.

Photographers and Videographers:
Renee Sneed
Josue Villareal
Jimmie Trojcak

Please be sure to visit the following link.  Help Spread the Word to End the Word:
http://www.r-word.org/

"Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ" -Phillipians 1:6




No comments: