I put off writing about today because it is the last day. I suppose it is inevitable, so I have to write. I'll save the sappy stuff for the end.

In the morning, we welcomed the next group. They are from Kentucky. I wished numerous times that I was in their shoes. They have a week of work, sweat, love and tears before them. I pray they are able to make impacts, take in all they can and (most importantly) not forget.

We visited Casa de Esperanza first. This is the children's home that Mark started when he moved here in 2000. The facility is very suiting for any kids. Their playroom is equipped with everything a kid can dream. There were trampolines, rivers, futbol courts and swings sets ready for these troubled children to use at anytime.

The next stop was quite a fulfilling prize. The playground at Hospital Escuela had been the rage of the trip the entire week. Now, everyone was going to see what all the talk has been about. They loved it. It was a blessing to see that the work we put in was well accepted by our peers, staff and patients. As everyone looked on, I took a walk with Kristen A. And Vicky to visit some of the renal patients. There were only two kids in the room that I visited. One of them was probably three years old. He was eating a lunch, but he was all alone. I talked with him for awhile as he watched Disney channel. He looked slightly scared, but more alone. He was such a sweet child, I think I will always see his face and wonder how he is doing.

Next we made a visit to a Boys Home. It was similar to a detention facility, but the boys are not necessarily locked down. It is more of a way to keep them from making trouble on the streets. We joined the for a catered cookout. There were carnitas served. The style was very similar to the style found at a taco stand. If you want to talk about putting things into perspective, this cookout did it. I cleaned my plate and began gathering the plates of others as they finished eating. Right when I was about to dispose of the scraps, one of the boys jumped at the opportunity to take the scraps from the plates. I was floored as he enjoyed the food that we were too full to finish. His belly ached and he was more than content to eat our leftovers.

Our next stop was to the Valley of Angels. It was a tourist trap, but I was not falling for it. The group I was with decided to use the time to hang out and say goodbye. We had pupoosas. We were supposed to get professional shaves, but we ran our of time. The bus ride quite a treat. We had a great tome goofing off and singing to the radio. Then, I played DJ for Archer and Cali.

Devotion was extra special tonight. My new friend Katelyn decided to get baptized. She had been contemplating for quite some time, but I have faith that she will be quite Christian. I can't wait to see the work she does.

A few of us stayed up all night. I got the opportunity to get to know Morgan and Nurse Callie. It was quite an evening. As the night went on, it set in that we would not all be together for much longer. No more Honduran coffee. No more 'Por Favor!' No more Driver Willie. No more gringos. I no more 'Una fila'. No more karma bus and missing muscle milk...

Until next year!

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." -Matthew 11:28-30

No comments: