26.6.12

Dios, dame tus ojos...


This entry will begin a bit off topic. I was looking at pictures from Micah's baseball tournament on my phone last night. I zoomed into one and  recognized the chain tucked into his jersey. It belonged to the dog tag that I gave him after his baptism.  I had it engraved to read, "Confutatis maledictis, voca me cum benedictis". I wanted him to remember the Holy Spirit, Christ and his Christian brothers are always around him even when he is alone. Baseball players wear charms around the neck as reminders of where their strength comes from.  I am happy that he wears this as his reminder.

Today's events are as follows:
1. Hospital Escuela, School for the Blind and Nueva Oriental
2. The farm
3. The dump

I chose option one and found myself at Hospital Escuela once more. Initially, I was separated from my group.  In spite, I felt very familiar in this place. I stopped at the orthopedic wing and visited six children. Next, I went to the pediatric playground. I found my group preparing balloons and toys and the fun began. I met  Elvira Maria, a two year old girl with pneumonia in isolation. Though she was being released, she was not having a good day. The doctors came in during my visit.  Elvira Maria knew it would not be pleasant. She began crying upon site of the white coats. After the doctors left, Debbie and I returned to comfort her. She was reluctant at first, but she soon warmed up. We were friendly visitors.
Elvira Maria
Alejandra
During other visits, we met Alejandra. She was a patient, but had no signs she was ill aside from her medical bracelet. She took advantage of our attention.  Soon she was laced with fun bracelets, stickers, balloons, nail polish and coloring books. She was so cute that none of us could deny her. I gave her the yellow balloon to match her dress.

After the hospital we visited Escuela para Ciegos. As they were released for recess, we played with them in he courtyard. I met Derrick and gave him greeting from Archer. Following, we went to an indoor assembly area where they sang songs for us and the director played a few Beatles songs on the piano. A little girl sang so beautifully as she led her classmates in a song.
Soon we went back to the courtyard to say goodbye and a little boy came and leaned up to me as if he knew me. His name is Jasper and he is four years old. Some joked and said he was my lost son.
I was excited to visit Nuevo Oriental. I wanted to meet with Kevin, Vanessa and Naomi once more. As time went on everyone talked about seeing their kids again, but mine never showed up. We didn't spend a great deal of time there, but I hoped to see at least one of them. Sadly, it never happened.  It will be at least another year until I see them again.

Devotion was average tonight. Joel spoke and made most people laugh rather than cry. His words definitely pull out emotions. He is gifted far beyond any speaker I know. Next, Marc gave a brief talk; sharing a glimpse of the lack of fortitude the Hondurans have for facing up to authority and the abuse of power. Upon hearing some of the most common offenses, I wanted nothing more but to act. But I didn't know where to begin. I understand it is hard to 'unknow' some of the things we now know.

"But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?"- 1 John 3:17

No comments: