30.6.12

¿Por qué esto existe?


Transition is the only constant in Hondo. The last of the Tennessee group leaves today. Lydia and her family have been so sweet and hard working. I plan to keep up with them.

The groups from Childress, Texas and Oklahoma started arriving today. Currently, there are fifty of them, but that number is going to grow. They are friendly, but it is hard to get to know so many in such a short time Karol and Kelin are going to have their hands full.

As I reflect, I don't think I have given Karol and Kelin due attention in my writings. These two sisters have been guides on everyday trip Skillman has taken. These two have been so wonderful to all of us. I am sure we wear them down, but they never complain and we have a lot of in with them. Both of them are in college. Karol is studying to be and Industrial Engineer. Kelin is studying to be an Environment Engineer. Working for Marc in the summers gives them a difficult schedule, but they seem to be doing well. I know that they can do well and go far.
Karol & Kelin
Today is an easy day. We visit the boy's home. We'll play with them for awhile and maybe have lunch. Then we go to the Valley of Angels to be tourists. On the way to the boy's home, we are stopping at the hospital to drop off a microwave for Nurse Lydia.

I was completely wrong about how 'easy' this day would be. I have been to the boy's home before, but I always assumed the boys had done something to be there. I didn't know they were there through no fault of their own. The part that got me was the timing of the following stories:

First, I met Moises. He told me he wanted to learn English. It was nice to talk to him because he understood that I was still learning Spanish.  We both tried very hard.  He began telling me that is friend lived in Houston, Texas. He was deported to Honduras because his family did not have the money to care for him. Thus, he landed in the home.
"Malo suerte", he said.

Next, I learned about Gabriel. He is from Roatan and speaks excellent English. He is in the home because his entire family died. Olivia (16, from Overland Park) told me that he could be in the home for three months, then he has to find a place on his own.  I couldn't hear any more because it was going to make me cry.  I found Kristin's hand and shoulder and sobbed uncontrollably. She graciously let me soak her shoulder and talked me through it.

I was able to compose myself and go outside to play with the boys. Josue was there for me to talk it out, but I just wasn't ready to do it without breaking down again. I can barely see the keyboard because my eyes are tearing as I type.  These facts are so difficult to take in.

Finally, I talked with Minor. I met him early on while buying bracelets, but this was the first time I talked with him and saw him 'work.' Each time we made balloon animals, the children wanted to keep the pumps. Minor asked to pump his own balloon. Reluctantly, I handed him the pump and he made a balloon for himself. Then he saw a popped balloon on the ground that one of the volunteers had thrown away. He picked it up, 'fixed' it, pumped it and asked me to tie it. He had done this to share with another one of the boys.  As I looked on astonished, he began looking for more of the same. He was looking out for the othe kids. He is 12.

After awhile Matt, Rebecca and Kayla had to catch their flight. This gave me time for my strong sense of sadness to partially subside. We said goodbye and exchanged contact information.

Soon, it was time for our group to move on. I hugged Gabriel and Moises. I told Gabriel to teach Moises English. I hugged Minor, but he seemed preoccupied with helping the other boys. As I made the quick walked to our bus, I could only think to myself, "God, I don't ever want to come here again. I don't want place like this to have to exist.

"Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth."- Matthew 5:5

No comments: